Friday, September 5, 2008

Building of the Pool 1958

Wow isnt this neat that we have picture documentation of the building of our pool.Do you remember when this was built? Do you have any stories to tell if so please leave a comment in the comment section we would love to hear from you.

We did recieve this special note from Steve Sisk:

My Dear Grant City Friends and Family,

In 1958, when the original GC pool committee was working diligently on providing our small town with a modern swimming pool, I was a 10 year old resident. I recall the prospect of having a swimming pool to enjoy during the summer monthes with great excitement and anticipation and was absolutely thrilled when it was actually completed. When the pool opened (the year escapes me), I was a "charter member" and frequently traveled there on my bike to spend many happy hours swimming with my friends. I recall overcoming my fear of leaping off the high diving board - and being drug out of the pool by the lifeguard after doing a "backbuster" off of it! I remember "ferocious" water fights with friends and unsuspecting (perhaps) girls. I remember doing flips and swan dives off the diving boards --over and over again, trying to both "get it right" and just showing off. Many subtle and not-so-subtle "life lessons" were learned there--including how to just enjoy life. Ahhhh, such fond memories. So, it is with great pleasure that I "give back" a small token of my affection for both my Grant City childhood and its swimming pool.




Who is that boy in the diamond shorts? Those are nice! Steve is that you? LOL.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Well I have to agree with Steve. I also spent many summers at the pool as a customer and later became a lifeguard for 3 years. When I heard the pool would not be able to open it broke my heart. I immediately wanted to know how I could help. I soon became a committee member to help bring the pool back to our community. I am overwhelmed of the generous donation we have recieved thus far. As any project would have it cost have increased more than we thought but with the generosity of our community I know our goal will be met soon.